Wednesday, October 6, 2010

How A Seed Can Change A Community

3 years ago, Jessie Jollymore, the nutritionist from the North End Community Clinic, told me of her idea to have a community garden for the Central Halifax area.  She wanted to teach the youth how to grow vegetables, and to change their eating habits. I thought it was a brilliant idea!  Why?




 As a child on my parents weekend farm.  I was taught the fundementals of organic gardening, crop rotation, how to weed and or thin a crop, to try eating vegtables and fruits that I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't grown them myself. I was and still am a picky eater, but I love fresh vegtables!


These skills not only gave me an education in gardening, but in patience, nurturing, and appreciation of what farmers do to make a living in our Nova Scotian climate.


There is nothing more fullfilling than growing your own food. 


Fresh vegtables taste better, have a snap!


27 youth, 15 families and many great volunteers like Mr. Loppie,Sean, Jill, Lisa and many others have grown local vegtables, herbs and fruit for their own consumption and for their neighbourhood this year.


In 2008, the gardeners made salsa and sold it to the community at special events like Go North.  It was a hit!  I personal bought a few bottles and they didn't last long! lol


In 2009, the gardeners sold their crops to the community for which I made my own salsa!  it was so delicious!


During this summer, the Black Business Initiative provided youth the opportunity to learn about being entrepreneurs by holding a week long business camp for the gardeners.  This allowed them the ability to prepare for the next step forward!  The plan was to produce a line of salad dressings from the garden's harvest.  Hope Blooms Salad Dressings.  The proceeds would go towards  local philthatropic projects, a scholorship fund for the youth who are members of the garden and a little pocket money for them as well.
The demand for the salad dressings has been incredible.  Last weekend at the Seaport Farmers Market, they sold out at 10:30am.  Jessie mentioned to me that the Wooden Monkey Restaurant, which serve local source food, wants to feature Hope Blooms dressings on the menu.  How do you produce salad dressings for the masses in Nova Scotia?  Solution: Greenhouse!


Fast forward to Today, October 6,2010 at approximately 11:00am I went down to Saint Patrick's Church and low and be hold members of our Canadian military were feverishly assembling the North End Community Garden's new endeavour!

A new chapter has been started for the North End Gardeners.  I am so proud of them all.
A seed of hope has been planted, has grown and is now blooming with success!

No comments: